Magic falls into four separate categories in Norithal – Arcane, Divine, Psionic, and Spiritual.
Arcane magic is derived from a deep understanding of the laws of the universe and, more importantly, the flaws in its design. An individual with sufficient understanding of the weaknesses in the universe’s fabric can utilize this knowledge to accomplish amazing things, but continued abuse of the laws of reality is not without its risks, and takes a gradual toll on the wielder of such power.
Divine magic is simply power granted from a powerful patron – a god, usually, with the understanding that the beneficiary of this boon will use his newfound power to further his god’s interests. Relying on divine magic is a risky business, however, for an angered patron may at any time revoke his sponsorship.
Psionic magic is a rare variety of power, drawn from within, the wielder utilizing the innate magical power that all creatures are born with. The fact that this magic comes from within, with no drawbacks, makes it very powerful, but the training and discipline required to tap into one’s inner potential is more than most can bear, and as such, practitioners of psionic magic are rare indeed.
Spiritual magic is the raw power of souls – of the dead, and those yet to be born. Perhaps the most powerful, and most dangerous type of magic, those that can master it are capable of miraculous feats – raising the dead, seeing the future, traversing time itself – but spirits are fickle things, and not easily controlled. Only the truly genius or insane dare to dabble with the power of spirits, for those that fail to control them are inevitably consumed, their own souls lost to the void.
- Arcane: Use Taint rules from Heroes of Horror, after every combat in which one or more Arcane spells were used, the character must make a Fortitude or Willpower save against a moderate DC. The caster levels of each different spell used during the combat are added together, and then added to the DC of the Fort/Will save. If the save is failed, the character gains a point of Taint.
- Divine: Power can be revoked by patron.
- Psionic: Requires a Willpower modifier of +10 or greater.
- Spiritual: A failed casting kills the character. Period. The first ten decades spent studying how to control spiritual energy give the character a +1 to rolls to utilize it successfully for every ten years of study. After the 100 year mark, every five years bestows a +1 bonus, and after the 200 year mark, the +1 bonus is bestowed for every year of study. Spiritual magic is also the only type of magic that gives access to any spells that result in the raising of the dead (undead or living), chronomancy, or divination.
- Martial: Scout, Samurai, Swashbuckler, Marshal, Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue, Knight, Crusader, Swordsage, Warblade
- Arcane: Warmage, Wu Jen, Shugenja, Factotum, Artificer, Archivist, Healer, Wizard, Beguilder, Shadowcaster
- Divine: Spellthief, Warlock, Favored Soul, Spirit Shaman, Divine Mind, Hexblade, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Duskblade, Binder, Shaman, Sohei
- Psionic: Ninja, Ardent, Lurk, Psion, Psychic Warrior, Soulknife, Wilder, Monk
- Spiritual: Dread Necromancer